Halloween is a time for creativity, costumes, and, of course, treats! But who says these treats have to be loaded with sugar and empty calories? Making fun and healthy Halloween snacks as a family can be a great way to celebrate the holiday without compromising on your family’s nutrition – so let’s get to making some Vampire Salsa!
Using MyPlate as a Guideline For Halloween Snacks
The USDA’s MyPlate diet emphasizes the importance of a balanced diet by dividing the plate into five food groups: fruits, vegetables, grains, protein, and dairy. When you involve the whole family in creating Halloween snacks, you can integrate elements from each of these groups into your recipes.
This vampire salsa recipe primary uses food from the MyPlate vegetable group, but there’s so many other healthy Halloween recipes to explore! Our blog features several MyPlate Halloween themed recipes, so make sure to explore some of those as well (I included some at the bottom of this blog post).
Benefits of Making Healthy Halloween Treats
The benefits of making healthy Halloween treats with the family are plentiful, but here are a few perks to remember…
- Healthy Halloween snacks can be a blank canvas for your family’s imagination. From carving jack-o’-lantern faces into bell peppers to crafting cucumber witch fingers, involving kids in the creative process can foster their interest in healthy foods. Encourage your children to design their spooky snacks, promoting a sense of ownership and excitement around healthy eating.
Teaches Valuable Cooking Skills
- Preparing fun and healthy Halloween snacks together as a family provides an excellent opportunity to teach children valuable cooking skills. Children can learn the basics of food preparation, knife safety, and cooking techniques. These skills will serve them well as they grow and become more self-sufficient in the kitchen.
Reduces Sugar Overload
- One of the primary concerns during Halloween is the excessive consumption of sugary treats, which can lead to energy spikes and crashes. By making your own snacks, you can control the sugar content and ensure that your family isn’t overdosing on sweets. Instead of traditional candy, consider serving yogurt parfait with natural sweeteners like honey and fresh fruit or peanut butter apple “mummies” for a satisfying, nutritious alternative.
Fosters Bonding Time
- Cooking and crafting Halloween snacks as a family can be a fantastic bonding experience. It provides an opportunity for parents and children to spend quality time together while working on a fun project. These shared moments can create lasting memories and strengthen family connections.
Reinforces Healthy Eating Habits
- By involving your family in the creation of healthy Halloween snacks, you’re reinforcing the idea that nutritious food can be both delicious and enjoyable. This approach can help shape children’s attitudes toward food, encouraging them to make better choices as they grow. It’s a win-win situation – they get to enjoy the Halloween spirit and learn about the importance of a balanced diet simultaneously.
Making fun and healthy Halloween snacks as a family is a fantastic way to celebrate the holiday while learning about the USDA’s MyPlate diet.
This recipe is intentionally scaled to feed a whole bunch of friends and family at any upcoming Halloween parties, and a smart way to use up an end-of-season tomato harvest. Feel free to freeze the leftovers and eat within several weeks!
Wanting to improve your health but don’t know where to start? Learn more about our Your Health Your Choice initiative!