Sometimes you may be faced with the choice of eating white bread or wheat bread. We understand it can be a tough dough-cision! Most of the time, we should choose to eat foods made with whole-grains. Using all parts of the grain will give you more nutrients to keep you healthy and strong! Whole-grains are also a great way for your body to get the energy it needs to run, jump, swim, and play!
Whole-grains include the bran, endosperm, and germ. The bran and germ are important parts of the grain that contain many important nutrients! Here’s a list of nutrients found in whole-grains and how they help you be healthy!
- Fiber – keeps your insides sparkling clean & helps you feel satisfied
- B-vitamins – helps your body use energy from the food you eat
- Minerals (iron, copper, magnesium, zinc) – support healthy body functions, like transporting oxygen to your brain and muscles
- Vitamin E – keeps your body free from sickness
- Phytochemicals – may protect you from illnesses, like cancer
Choosing whole-grains instead of refined grains is a simple way to boost your nutrition! Brown rice, wheat bread, and popcorn are all examples of whole-grains you can eat this holiday season!
Did you know that your favorite treats can be made healthier by using whole-wheat flour instead of white flour? One of our favorite recipes around this time of year is whole-wheat sugar cookies! Make some with your family today!