Did you know that August is Kids Eat Right month? This is a great opportunity to focus on small changes that can help us eat healthier and be more physically active!
Eating healthy and being active can be FUN! Here are a couple of tips that will get the whole family involved. Pick one or two to focus on during August.
- Get moving! Kids should be active for at least 60 minutes a day. Go play outside, have a dance party, or challenge your friend to a race around the block.
- Try a new fruit or vegetable! Find something at the store you’ve never tried before – you just might like it!
- Choose low-fat dairy! Switching low-fat dairy for whole milk products is an easy way to make a healthier choice.
- Pack a healthy snack! Don’t get stranded while you are hungry – bring some nuts, fruit, or a cheese stick to keep your energy high while you’re out and about.
- Eat together! Bring your whole family together for mealtime. Prepare meals together and enjoy one another’s company.
- Get active as a family! Go on a walk, bike ride, and plan fun activities together each week.
- Drink lots of water! Stay hydrated by drinking mostly water or low-fat milk.
- Make a fruity dessert! Satisfy your sweet tooth with a healthier option, like berries and granola or a chocolate chip banana muffin.
- Help cook! Ask your parents what you can do to help around the kitchen. Chop veggies, stir batter, or watch the oven to make sure the food cooks just right!
- Choose whole-grains! Use wheat flour instead of white flour, use brown rice instead of white rice, or try some whole-wheat tortillas today!
Find more resources at kidseatright.org!