The last MyPlate food group left to highlight is FRUIT! It’s the perfect month to talk about fruit because May is when more fruit starts to be in season.
Fruit is nature’s dessert. In addition to being delicious, fruits are loaded with fiber, vitamins, and minerals that help you stay energized, free from sickness, and strong. What is your favorite fruit?
Did you know you need about 2 cups of fruit every day? How are you measuring up?
Here are some fun ways to use fruits for breakfast lunch or dinner:
- Fruity muffins
- Pancake/ waffle / french toast topping
- Add to your bowl of cereal
- Sliced up on the side
- Fruit Salad (choose 4-5 of your favorite fruits, cut them into bite size pieces, and mix!)
- Parfait: yogurt + fruit + granola
- Make your own flavored oatmeal
- Peaches and Cream: Quick oats+ diced canned peaches + milk
- Apple Cinnamon: Quick oats + diced apples + cinnamon
- Tropical morning: Quick oats + pineapple chunks(fresh or can)+ coconut + pineapple juice
- Fruit cake mix: Quick oats + dried fruit + crushed pecans
- Apple slices & Peanut butter
- Add to a salad
- Whole (oranges, apples, pears, bananas, melon etc.)
- Fruit Salad
- Greek yogurt topped with berries
- Peanut Butter and Fruit Spread Sandwich (try to find a jam/spread that is mostly fruit with little to no sugar)
- Food art (see below)
- Fruit salad
- Orange rolls
- Homemade berry sherbert
- Roasted pears, peaches, or apples (cut fruit in half, place in a baking pan and sprinkle with brown sugar, roast for desired texture)
- Fruit dipped in chocolate (chocolate covered strawberries, banana, orange slices, watermelon)
There are hundreds and hundreds of ways to use fruits with each meal if you get creative! Since fruits have so many colors and textures, you can also make some fun food art!
Check out these tips below for some more ideas on how to incorporate fruit into your every day life.