The Jump Zone is a shortcut to all of the posts and pages on creating healthy active fun. As we show off some different physical activities, I will add to the Jump Zone tab.
Being physically active doesn’t have to mean ‘pumping iron’ for 2 hours a day at the gym. It can simply mean getting up and moving in fun ways instead of sitting in front of the TV. Physical activity is sooooooooooooooooooooo (did I put enough o’s?) important, and this is why:
Why Should I be Active?
The Australian Department of health sums up the benefits nicely:
How should I be active?
The great thing about Physical Activity, is that it can happen whenever you want it to. It is recommended that we are active for 60 minutes every day, but that doesn’t have to be all at once! How will you split up your 60 minutes?
60 minutes a day should be set aside for having fun. I don’t know about you, but I don’t want to stay active if I don’t enjoy it.
So… if you are reading this at any point, take this next week and try 4 new ways of being active. Try things you have never tried before, because who knows! You might find a new favorite hobby! Take a selfie of yourself doing the new items and email me at email@example.com. (If you are between the ages of 8 and 18, and live in the state of Utah, you will even receive a prize!)
If you are having a hard time thinking of things you want to try, here are some ideas:
- Shoot some hoops/ learn to play basketball
- Play soccer at the park
- Learn racquetball
- Take a hip hop or other dancing class
- Throw a Frisbee around with a friend
- Go for a bike ride
- Go to the gym
- Do some morning yoga
- Find a 30-minute workout video on YouTube
- Start a 30-day workout challenge on Pinterest
- Walk to school instead of taking the bus
- Play tag at recess
- Find a seasonal activity:
- Spring: plant a garden, go for a bike ride,
- Summer: have a water party (water balloons and all) , go swimming
- Fall: take a hike, rake leaves/ play in leaves
- Winter: Build a snow fort, go skiing
- Turn on some music each night and have a short dance party with the family
- Build your own ‘American Ninja Warrior’ obstacle course in the backyard
- Go to the park
- Take a walk around the zoo
Alright friends! Challenge set! I am excited to see what you try out! Good luck and have fun creating your active lifestyle!